Tuesday 11 April 2006

Hello everyone!

Well the Easter holidays are here! I can't believe how quickly they've come along. Christmas only like yesterday.

Today I went on a daytrip to Porthcawl with some members of the Viva! Project.

Viva!* is a registered charity working with disabled young people aged between 11 and 25, who live in the Rhondda Valleys in South Wales. The charity was established in 1992 to create and facilitate leisure and training opportunities for young people with disabilities.

I have been a member of the Viva! Project for about 3 years and participate in various activities throughout the year.

I have a condition called Cerebral Palsy. There are three main classifications and I have Ataxia, which particulary affects my legs. I used to be in a wheelchair a lot of the time. But I had an operation in May 2003 which has made my legs straighter and improved my walking greatly. Since Christmas I have been attempting to walk using one walking stick, which is very scary. With all the bad rain and the snow, it's been quite scary to let go lol. People say I'm like a magpie attached to shiny things lol. I am trying to go back to using 1 stick, depending on where I am in school. I don't see what I have as a condition but it means I can't socialize as often as my friends. I want to improve people's understanding of C.P. 1 thing is I don't like people seeing others as a condition rather than an actual person. Just because we have a particular condition it doesn't make us any less human. We haven't got a contagious disease. Feel free to ask any questions.

One of my dreams has always been to go Orlando, Florida. In October 2001 it finally came true. This is all thanks to a charity called Dreamflight. Dreamflight is a registered charity which takes seriously ill children on their "holiday of a lifetime" to central Florida. The holiday lasted for 10 days. I was a member of the Pluto group and each day we would go to a different theme park: DisneyWorld, SeaWorld, Blizzard Beach, MGM Studios, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (we didn't even have to queue!). 

Before we went in Heathrow we met celebrities such as Sir Cliff Richard (who is a patron of Dreamflight), 'Ground Force' presenter Charlie Dimmock (a year later she became an helper for Dreamflight), 'CBeebies' presenter Chris Jarvis, 'Top Of The Pops' executive producer Andi Peters and stars of ITV's 'The Bill': Alex Walkinshaw (Sgt. Dale Smith), Rene Zagger (PC Nick Klein) and Gary Grant (DC Paul Riley).

I made lots of friends and we still keep in touch by phone, letter or e-mail. I will never forget when the Pluto group went on 22 rides in one day. It was an unforgettable experience and was really was a holiday of a lifetime! Big hello to all the Dreamflight helpers and children of Dreamflight 2001. Hope you're all well. What do you like the site? 

 

Anyway, the weather today was absolutely terrible, heavy rain and gusty winds. I was almost blown over by the wind as I walked from the car into the arcade. I had some food: a cheeseburger, fries and a drink for £2.99 (value for money!).

Because of the weather conditions we decided to stay indoors and have a go and some games. For about 20 minutes I was on one of those 2p machines. I was wary at the beginning but it was worth it because at the end I won lots of 2p's (a money bag full to be exact), a lollipop and a dice on a keyring lol! (Childish ain't I? lol!)

I had a good time today. Obviously, I would've enjoyed it a bit more if it was sunny, but you cannot predict the weather!

I came home and noticed in the paper ITV were repeating a classic episode of 'Coronation Street' every evening this week, in tribute to the character Mike Baldwin, who died of pneumonia on Friday after being in the show for almost 30 years.

I think the week-long tribute should be made to Lynne Perrie who played battleaxe Ivy Tilsley. She died aged 75 last month after suffering a stroke. Ironically, her character died of a stroke in 1994. 'Poison' Ivy was one Street legend who will always be remembered!

As well as 'Coronation Street', I like 'Only Fools and Horses' and '24'. '24' is so addictive, like chocolate, at the end of each episode, it leaves you wanting a bit more.

OK thank you readers better go now.

Happy Easter to you all!

Leigh xxx

Postscript

 A big thank you to Jeanette, who helped me add pictures to this entry and bring colour to it! xxx Also thank you to those who have sent comments, it is very much appreciated! xxx

*Click on the red words in bold. This will take you directly to the website for more information.

I thought this graphic would be appropriate considering the bad weather conditions earlier on.

         

                                    

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great start to your journal Leigh, so glad you took the plunge.  I was born in the Black Mountains, not too far from you.  I am a Corrie fan as well, been watching it since the first episode, God that makes me feel old.  Keep up the good work. I have put you on alert and shall be back to read more.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

P.S. I have asked some friends to pop over.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

P.P.S. Perhaps you could put your photo on sometime?

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I just had to come back after you said you had updated your journal.  Thank you for sharing some details of your medical condition.  Journals is a great way of learning about things that we did not know and can benefit others so much.  I am happy that you are walking now and hope your legs go from strength to strength.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Leigh how lovely for us that you have started a journal ~ I look forward to keeping up with the events that go on in your life ~ I watch Coronation Street ~ but did not know they were showing a classic episode every evening ~ and I do remember Lynne Perrie (Poison Ivy) great character ~ and 'Only Fools and Horses'  like you I am a fan ~ Glad you had a good time in the arcade and ended up with a bagful of cash ~ a lollipop and a keyring great prizes lol ~ you have a Happy Easter and take care ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh welcome to the wonderful world of J-land ,if you want to make friends this is the place to do it ,,Yes  I saw Lynn Perrie had died ,and that ,of all the cast of Corrie only ,the fellow who used to  play her son and  and Gail attended the funeral ,,Well done on your op and your sticks ,,I'll be back to your place come on over to mine ,......Jan xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeadie05/Serendipity/

Anonymous said...

Great to see the Welsh Dragon flying Leigh and your page looking so bright.  Thanks for the thanks and well done.  I know you will have lots of fun with your journal and will make lots of friends.  Do not forget to pay a return visit to those that leave a link.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Hello Leigh, welcome to J-land!  Your journal sounds refreshing and interesting!  Linda

Anonymous said...

cool pics. Wow sounds like though you have lots of adversity you are triumphing. Yes dreay weather affects us mentally and physically and this year seems to be hanging on quite long. I pray someday they find a cure for CB

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh ,Jeannette sent me over to you.Congratulations on starting your journal. I also enjoy watching Corrie.Happy Easter........Jean

Anonymous said...

Hey there guy! Jeaneette asked me to visit.
Welcome to the community, mostly great gals & guys here, occ get a nut but not too many & can always just block those. LOL
Hope you'll come visit me & even add my journals to your side bar! Have a great day!
Hugs,
SUGAR

http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/SUGARSLIFE/
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/PRAYING4U/

Anonymous said...

Hello and welcome to Jland...
Happy Easter!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Me again! LOL Jeannette said I might mention to you about ALERTS in case you don't know...when you visit a journal, & you like it, put it in your favorites, then click on the ALERTS at top of right side of their pg, then click ok. That way every time they make an entry you'll know about it & can visit!!! ;0)
Don't forget you have to visit people to get them to return visits to you. I try to visit ALL my favorites at least oce a week, sometimes more. Have fun & enjoy J-Land.
Hugs,
SUGAR
my links below in previous comment

Anonymous said...

Hiya, welcome to J-land!! Excellent entry....I could have done with some of that meal earlier, lol, all I had at work was a dried up sarnie for 2.20p!!! pop by and visit sometime, luv Joan........by the way Jeannette got me started as well!!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/aniracj/StrannyDayze/

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh, Welcome to J-Land and our happy little community. I came here on Jeannette`s recommendation and she was right to do so.  I think I`m going to enjoy reading your entries and I`m putting you on my alerts. Have a nice evening. :o)

Sandra

Anonymous said...

hi Leigh.

I wish you luck with this Blog.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Heya leigh,

this is really good wel done!!
from rach

Anonymous said...

Welcome to J land Leigh, my youngest has CP too, so want to wish you the best of luck raising awareness
Denise

Anonymous said...

Welcome to J-Land and the best group of folks you'll ever meet.  I look forward to more entries :)
hugs
d  
http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my Furr Baby Journal & leaving a comment, don't forget to visit my other journals too! Already left you the link!
Have a good day sweetie. Looking forward to your next entry.
SUGAR

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you on your new journal.   mark

Anonymous said...

Mike Baldwin died???  no one ever tells me anything!!
Actually I hardly get a chance to watch TV
Nice to see you writing Leigh, welcome to journals. I'll try and pop in now and again but it's hard enough getting time to write my own journal.

Anonymous said...

Page is looking great Leigh.  Waiting for your next entry now.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/