Thursday 25 May 2006

Positive Thinking Makes Things Happen!

Sorry everyone I am a bit late posting this entry.  I tried earlier but AOL wouldn’t let me access my journal.  It took several attempts but here it is…

 

The three examinations I sat this week were successful.  They were B.C.S (Business and Communication Systems), English Literature and R.E.  In exams I am given 25% extra time, an amanuensis (someone writing for me as I dictate the answer) and an enlarged paper because I am shortsighted.  I can write but I am a very slow and articulate one.  I have someone writing for me if there is a lot of writing involved in the exam.  If I didn’t I probably wouldn’t even get half-way through the paper.

 

I managed to complete all three papers within the time given, so I am chuffed about that. One question on the B.C.S exam was ‘Give one advantage of using a fax machine’.  I just put anything down as I’ve never owned a fax machine in my life.  The R.E exam was about Christian and Islamic views on weddings, festivals, symbols etc ~ most of that was common sense.

 

I worried about the English Literature exam the most, as we had pages of quotes to learn.  Those people who know me will tell you my memory is like a sieve and I worry a lot lol!  I liked reading ‘An Inspector Calls’ by J.B. Priestly and ‘Of Mice and Men’ by John Steinbeck. I had to write two essays on each book, I had to stop myself from writing reams and reams (Minimum length was 3 sides).  Both were very interesting reads.  If you have not already studied these for you English Literature exam or coursework, they are strongly recommended.

 

I do not have another exam until 6th June and that is English Language.  Paper 1 involves a comprehension and writing an imaginative story.  I will continue to revise hard over the Whitsun holidays and hope that Lady Luck continues to be at my side through June.  Although my philosophy seems to be working so far: ‘Positive thinking makes things happen!’

 

I tried to book tickets for Margaret and I to go and watch ‘My Fair Lady’ at the end of July.  The new stage version stars Amy Nuttall, who played Chloe Atkinson in ‘Emmerdale’.  Unfortunately the only available seats were at the back of the theatre and these are no good to me as I am shortsighted.  I am disappointed at this news but the show will come back to Cardiff sometime in the future so I will go and see it next time.

Who has been watching the latest series of ‘Big Brother’?  I’ll be honest with you; I only watch the programme because most of my friends watch it.  It is also a good topic to bring up in a conversation.  I have decided to do weekly updates.  This journal would become boring if I wrote an entry everyday on BB7!

 

I have discovered a new game-show on S4C/Channel 4 called ‘Deal or No Deal’.  It is presented by Noel Edmonds.  There are twenty two boxes sealed containing sums of money.  On one side are red numbers (high) and the other blue (low).  During each round the contestant must eliminate the low numbers.  It is the highlight of my afternoon (when I’m not in school).     

 

Have a good Bank Holiday weekend!

 

Leigh xxx

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh I found you at last ..Good on ya ..with your exams and getting it done in the alloted time..I have to say your journal presentation now is very good ,you have come along way in a short time ,it took me ages to do some of the stuff you are now doing ...what a shame you couldnt get he tickets for 'my fair lady' as you say maybe next time .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Leigh,

Nice to meet you. I found your link on Jan's (Serendipity) Journal.

I have happy memories of the Valleys, we lived in Dinas Powys for 5 years, when my husband Mike was the Breakfast Presenter on Red Dragon Radio. (almost before you were born!!). I'd always wanted to live by the sea, yet when we moved there, we hardly ever went to the coast. Our favourite Sunday afternoon pastime was touring up and down the Valleys. We miss Wales so much, we are looking to move back there again soon.

Good Luck with the English Language exam, if your writing on here is anything to go by, you should sail through it.

Linda.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindaggeorge/GeorgeMansions/

Anonymous said...

deal or no deal is very addictive watching. I studied of mice and men at school.

Anonymous said...

Leigh I am already addicted to Deal or no Deal ~ Glad those exams went well ~ now more studying for the next lot ~ May has been really good for you so with "Positive Thinking" June will be as well ~ shame about not being able to get tickets for My Fair Lady as you say it probably will come back again ~ and you will be able to go then ~ Hope you also have a good Bank Holiday ~ and have lots of fun ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Have a good BH after all those exams

Anonymous said...

Hope you get great results on your exams.  I love An Inspector Calls, have the film starring Alastair Sim
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

So pleased for you regarding the exams, well done.  Don't you do Shakespeare anymore for English Literature?  I did Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee and A Midsummer Nights Dream, Shakespeare of course!!  I really enjoyed both and found that helped me get a good grade despite not revising (hence 21 years later and just gaining my degree) - I was a naughty girl!!  You sound as if you are enjoying your books so you should do well.  I have to say I have been addicted to BB in the past, this year I don't feel so compelled to watch, there are no really strong characters at the mo so it's a little boring with everyone kind of getting along! xx