Monday 29 May 2006

Bank Holiday Weekend

I decided to go and visit my Nan this weekend.  She has suffered from osteoarthritis (arthritis from head to toe) for nine years.  This weekend she had a bad hip, so she spent most of the time lying on the settee with her leg up on a cushion to ease the pain.  Nan said that she has had twinges in the past but it has never affected her as bad as this before.

 

She is on medication at the moment to ease the arthritis but it is not working.  The doctor has given her patches, which release a painkiller into the bloodstream every hour.  Also they have to be inserted on the same day at the same time so the painkiller can work.  A three month course of acupuncture helps also.

 

Nan is frustrated at the moment as she cannot stand or sit for long periods of time.  This means she cannot wash the dishes and she hates the sight of untidy worktop.  She has a very important bowls match on Wednesday and really wants to play.  If Nan doesn’t participate, she feels she will have let the team down.  I have assured her that the team will understand if she cannot play in the match.  Most of her companions will emphasise as they have been in the samesituation.  Let’s hope those painkillers work their magic!

 

Usually on Monday evenings I go to youth club with Viva! But it’s Half Term so the venue is closed.  During Half Term Viva! run a different programme of  activities during the day and it throws me off-track because my daily routine is messed up.  In youth club you can play pool and basketball. There is a gym and computer room.  I usually avoid the basketball court but I have a terrible phobia of being knocked over by a basketball!  I go there to chat, socialize, meet new people and try new things.  I am usually shy around people I am not familiar with but I am going to make an effort to get the know them!

 

Tomorrow I am going to have my haircut.  I really can’t wait!  It has been eight weeks since the last cut and it is so long.  In the mornings I look like a porcupine ~ not a pretty sight lol!

 

That’s all for now readers.  I'm off to enjoy some sunshine now before it disappears!  Have a lovely afternoon everyone.

   

 

Love

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh so sorry your Nan is feeling poorly and is full of pain ,I hope she soon better ,can you send some sunshine over here .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Leigh I hope your Nan will soon be feeling better ~ and those painkillers will take effect ~ I'll bet she is feeling frustrated not being able to do the small jobs she needs to do ~ and I am sure her team mates will understand if she can't play Bowls ~ but I hope she will be well enough to join in ~ Yes Leigh you make an effort and go enjoy the company and make new friends ~  Like to see your picture before haircut and after haircut lol ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Hi hun

Hopefully your nan gets better soon x

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh I do hope your Nan gets well soon. I know a lot of people really enjoy their bowls so I hope she is well enough to join in again soon.   Hope you enjoyed your B H Monday. Eve

Anonymous said...

Keeping it all crossed for your Nan

Anonymous said...

Hi leigh,
glad to say I am back reading your Journal.I have the company of my daughter and Grandchilren frm Spain around this Bank oliday,so proved pretty hectic.Your Journal is becoming a very good graphic one.
I love the leigh glitter one you have made.I tried that site one day,but must admit,couldn't do it like you have well done!! Hope your Granmda feels well soon.I have osteo in my neck ,and it's not a very nice complaint I must admit.Your Journal is so good to say you are new to it.Have a great time meeting new friends,and glad you had some sun like us to go out in.
Regards Astoriasand.

Anonymous said...

Hope your Nan feels better soon, it must be misery for her, nothing worse than being in pain.  Hope she gets to play in the match but, if not, people will understand.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/