Thursday 9 November 2006

Hanging On the Telephone

 

I think it's amazing how quickly technology can develop.  I write very slowly, due to my condition, but I am articulate.  I don’t type faster either.  I only use two fingers to type.  My Health and Social Care teacher has introduced me to Voice Recognition Software.  It seemed the perfect aid.  You see, if I train this program, it will type for me as I talk into a microphone.

 

 

 

When Ross showed me a demonstration, I was left speechless (and that’s not often!).  The headmaster came in with a few colleagues as I started the tutorial process.  Iwas told to talk loudly.  I was taking as I normally would.  But that was too quiet and the microphone picked up everyone else’s voices as well as mine.  I was told to PROJECT my voice, but I felt really embarrassed because everyone was watching.

 

 

So last night after my cookery class I practiced projecting my voice.  Mum gave me a few helpful tips, too.  “Talk as if you’re on the phone” she said.  Apparently, I talk louder on the phone than I do face to face.  Mum said she can hear everything I say on the phone, even though my bedroom door is closed!  Whoops, I didn’t realise!

 

 

I had a free period first lesson, so Ross and I went into the digi-lab.  It was really quiet and I felt a little more confident.  Funnily enough, the first tip he gave me was “Talk as if you’re on the phone” LOL! I couldn’t help but laugh, was I really that loud talking to people on the telephone? I’m sorry!

 

 

Anyway we went through part one of the training sections.  The program was working fine so hopefully it shall continue to do so!  Computers can be very temperamental on times, we all know about that don’t we?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh so happy that this new voice recognition devise,is going to help you plenty.Yes talk like when you are on the phone.I forgot to mention ealier I also could here you LOL!!!! Talk and let me here all these miles away think of my poor deaf ears,people will hear you then LOL!!. Don't worry about the typeing, many only use two fingers.You are not alone on that one.Good entry I enjoyed reading it.Take care.
Astoriasand htt[://journal.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Technology has come a long way. I get told i talk loudly on the telephone. I think we all do. I just tell people it's because I'm use to talking where it's noisy lol.

Take Care Sarah (aka Sexkitten)

Anonymous said...

Yes I have seen this working ,isnt it amazing ?,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Technology has made some AMAZING advances, that's for sure.
I always love your graphics, they're so cute! lol

*PROJECTS VOICE* Love ya Leigh! lol

Morgan
xxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts