Friday 3 November 2006

The Network Conference

Yesterday I attended a conference, organized by members of the Young Disabled People of Wales Network.  We have a conference every three months.  Then discuss any issues we may have, and how we could resolve them.

 

 

I was picked up at 09:30a.m by a fellow Viva worker.  Then when we arrived at the venue in Newport, South Wales I was introduced to everyone.  There were approximately twenty people there.  There seemed to be a lot of new faces, but this is the great thing about conferences, you meet new people and you make new friends.

 

 

The first workshop was all about Campaigning.  We learnt about various methods people use when they campaign.  The main reason behind campaigns is the people want issues resolved!

 

 

Lunch was provided for us.  There was such a large variety to choose from ranging from ham sandwiches to Chinese cuisine.  I tried a bit of everything and particularly enjoyed the spring rolls with chili sauce.  I hadn’t eaten since about 8a.m and I was really hungry! Those who know me will know how much I adore food, LOL!

 

 

Both workshops were interesting, but I particularly enjoyed the second one.  It was all about Building up a Person’s Confidence.  I get very shy when I have to speak in public, I’m sure many of you do.  But I have learnt valuable techniques to overcome the fear.

 

 

I love to sing on stage.  I get a ‘buzz’ from the audience’s reaction and singing makes me feel a much happier person.  I’m very nervous if I have to act on stage.  You wouldn’t think so but my mind goes blank.  Mainly because the dialogue I have to learn is not me, it’s another person.

 

 

 

During rehearsals for the Viva Christmas Pantomime of “Cinderella” I hope to put the techniques into practice and not come out of character during my time on stage.

 

 

Have you voted in the VIVI Journal Awards yet?  If not voted yet, this link will take you to the page:

 

~ViVi Journal Awards 2006 Voting Site

 

The voting site closes on the 6th November 2006.  Then the winners will be announced at a ‘ceremony’ on 11th November.  Thank you all once again for nominating my journal and good luck to all nominees!

 

Have a good weekend.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mainly because the dialogue I have to learn is not me, it's another person."
^Tip #1 of acting, Leigh-- think in your mind that you ARE that person. Haven't you ever heard of "putting yourself in someone else's shoes"? Do the same when acting. Think in your mind, "I am [insert character name here]." LOL take my advice, I acted in plays for years. And best of luck to you with voting!

Morgan
xxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts

Anonymous said...

Glad the confererence went well Leigh. I have been to Newport, know it quite well.  Glad you enjoy singing. Yes, I voted the first day and you got my vote.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

hi hun

Hope your well glad you had a good time.

Sexkitten

Anonymous said...

Sound you so much enjoyed this Leigh,the food sounded good too,I loved being on stage when I was young at school.singing too.Enjoy while you are young.Good luck too woth the viva's.Take care.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Nice interesting entry Leigh ~ Good Luck with the Vivi's ~ Ally