Sunday 10 June 2007

'Any Dream Will Do'

Last night, one of my favourite shows reached its conclusion, “Any Dream Will Do”.  For the last ten weeks, Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber has been attempting to find a male lead to play the role of Joseph in a new version of his play “Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor® Dreamcoat”.

 

From thousands of hopefuls, twelve potential leading men were chosen to go to Joseph school.  While there, everyday the guys would work alongside professional voice coaches, choreographers and others, to improve their talent.  They also had to participate in several 'missions': one was to 'seduce' fellow judge Denise Van Outen.

 

Each Saturday night, each ‘Joseph’ had to sing live for viewers’ votes and to win over the judges “Doctor Who” star John Barrowman, vocal coach Zoë Tyler, actress Denise Van Outen, producer Bill Kenwright, and of course Lloyd-Webber himself.

 

Then, at the end of the show, the two men with the lowest votes would have to sing for survival in one final sing-off to impress Andrew.  He was allowed to save one guy each week... and he saved one guy four times, who later became a runner-up in the competition.

 

As the standard got better and better each week, it became increasingly difficult for the Lord (and the audience at home!) to choose who to save from eviction, as they were all so good.  Then last weekend 25 year old actor/singer, Lee Mead, from Southend-on-Sea achieved his dream role as Joseph.

 

I thought this show was brilliant.  It’s interesting to know what process goes on while choosing a leading man or lady for a theatre production.  Also I couldn’t vote because I found it really hard to choose my favourite.

The show will be held at Adelphi Theatre, London.  Lee has been an understudy for “Joseph” in the past.  Now, he is a leading man in his own right.  He says “I can give the public and the show the Joseph they know and love but with a new, fresh, individual stamp.”

Congratulations and good luck Lee!

Lee Mead - "Mack the Knife" 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im more an x factor fan myself i used to catch up with all the joseph goss from work colleagues but now ive got 12 weeks of big brother

http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/ramblings-of-a-married-man

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))I never heard of the show,ever siience we got cabel,all,I ever watch is,the Dsney chanel,chanel 17 and 50 sometimes I look at diffrent chanels.I used to watch chanel 50,shows like 7h heaven,but all of them are gone now,which is sad.Life goes on.Have a nice week ahead.
http://journals.aol.com/hugsdoodlewacky/Mandy

Anonymous said...

he is a really good singer. I was checking out your previous entry with all the pis of you, and your parents. Love them, great pics. it looks like alot of fun was had. ((((hugs)))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Leigh I am glad you enjoyed that show ~ I didn't watch it all but I did like Lee I thought he made a perfect 'Joseph' ~ Ally x