Saturday 5 January 2008

Being Cruel to Be Kind

I have made progress on my essay at last, which is due in on Monday.  I don’t know why but, I find it difficult to begin essays.  Usually I make lots of notes in preparation, but then I struggle to put it together to form a cogent piece of writing.

 

One of my teachers took one look at it and scrawled “Rubbish!” in red ink on the top.  I admit that I may have misunderstood the essay question, but there was no need for that.  I have always been brought up to believe that it was the Quality of writing that mattered, not the quantity.  That put-down has really knocked my confidence, particularly as I was quite pleased with the essay myself.

 

I understand why this has happened though.  Mrs. X said that the work didn’t reflect what I really can do.  “I hadn’t achieved my full potential”, she said.  I hope she’s happier with this one.

 

I have to read “The Nun’s Priest’s Tale” by Geoffrey Chaucer, and then discuss the relationship between the two main characters - a cockerel and a hen.  It’s not the most interesting essay in the world, but I’ve made a start!

 

That’s all my news for now.  I hope you are all having a good weekend, despite the horrible weather.

 


Tags: ,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love English Lit let us know how the essay turns out, and yes the weather is horrible.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

That was a very nasty thing to do Leigh.  Even if you knew why the teacher did it and thought you could do better, it is still nasty, something like that can rock peoples' confidence for life. Essays were always my favourite, but do not worry, I always had problems starting.  God luck with the new essay.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))I aggree with the one comment,who said it was nasty and thoes comments like that will stay with you.Because,I have had a few myself,like my Boss would tell me sometimes.Maybe thats why I always worry about my job even when I am not working.I hope your Essay that your working on now,that your Teacher will like it.Good luck to you.Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow Lee, she put "rubbish" in red ink??  Heartless, inappropriate.  Even if you misunderstood a question, you make a fine point:  Quality.  That's the  point of writing, that's why we write, it's so others will READ it and bring us input, feedback, things we can use - not "rubbish" which NO one can use!  I think you've managed to navigate the morons in life very well, and adjusted to the foolish ways of those who think they know what they don't.  And there is no "full potential" I'd say, we'll always have more to give, better things, because we keep growing and learning.  What would you do if you reached "full potential" stop writing then?  Course not!  You're doing fine!!  Happy reading.  xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

I don't think what anyone writes is rubbish.  I just found out that Nicole had a teacher before she was homeschooled that told her she was lazy and her writing showed it.  Nicole is a fabulous writer!  I'd have to say something to her if it was me!
Missie

Anonymous said...

That was not very nice of your teacher perhaps she got out of bed on the wrong side when she marked your essay hope this one turns out better. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

How rude is that.  That's no way to inspire people.  I'm sure you do great essays.  
Carolxx