Saturday 7 July 2007

Phew... TGIF!

As well as completing the Enterprise task last week, I had to fill in lots of paperwork for the Welsh Baccalaureate team.  I had to complete statements saying I had attended lessons, and then I had to write about what I had learnt.  So basically, all I did was shuffle bits of paper around into various folders ~ boring!

 

I was given a target to complete 65% of my WBQ work by Friday 6th June.  There are five sections to the course, and I have to complete ten portfolios while I’m in Year 12 & 13.

 

If I complete at least 65% of my work, I will be able to go on a school trip to France!  I’m so excited, because I’ve never been given the opportunity to go away with my school before!

 

However a few months ago, a teacher told me “not to get my hopes up” because “you may not be able to go to France”.  Why, hear you ask, “Because there may not be suitable activities for you to take part in”.

 

As you can imagine, I was very annoyed by this statement!  In my opinion, the person in charge should arrange activities that everyone can participate in.  France may be a bit behind in with Britain’s disability laws, but that don’t bother me.  

 

I get labelled as ‘disabled’ but in my eyes, I’m not.  I can walk, talk, eat, live, breathe and I have real emotions.  I’m just the same as everyone else, entitled to the same opportunities.  I just wish people could see past the disability and see me for the person I am.  Please ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’.

 

I want to go to France because I love to travel and secondly, to prove that there is such a thing as “Equal Opportunities’.  All I need is a little more help than others, and the school will have to ensure I have extra support!

 

My parents and friends are disgusted and have complained to the “WBQ Co-ordinator”.  She says I am the first disabled student in Sixth Form and it would have ‘to be investigated’.   She also says that other people may not be able to go ‘depending on their behaviour, how much work they’ve completed and there are other factors’.

 

The people who don’t go will have to stay in school and complete thirty hours of French lessons, then have an examination at the end of it all.  It is not the same as a holiday in France!

 

My school always preach about “Equal Opportunities” and how important it is.  But if I (along with the other disabled people in Sixth form) don’t go, the school staff will be contradicting themselves.  It goes against everything the school stands for.

 

 

Sorry for the long rant, this issue is very important to me!  Some people with disabilities do not get the opportunity to speak out… I am their advocate!

 

Have a good weekend.

Leigh

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son has a disability also.  You don't know by looking at him, but he does.  We know all to well how your feeling!
Missie

Anonymous said...

This would be so unfair to you I hope something will be done to allow you to go. LOve Joan.

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))))Just wanted to say,have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO LEIGH! YOU WENT FOR IT AND THATS GREAT...I AM NOT GOOD IN FRONT OF FOLKS..STAGEFRIGHT SOMETHIN AWEFUL.!! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND..LORI

Anonymous said...

Well said Leigh ~ keep on ranting until your school stands up to it's obligations ~ if they preach about "Equal opportunities"  they should abide by their rules ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

In this day and age I am really shocked to find a school that is un-able to help and support the disabled, have they not heard of the word discrimination!!!

Surely they can find a way of supporting ppl who r handicapped or disabled.
May b they dont have enough resources, but this is no excuse. Everyone has to abide by the laws of discrimination and provide reasonable facilities for the disabled. THAT IS THE LAW.

Regards to all. Jon.