Wednesday 11 July 2007

So Unexpected!

Today I had to go to Cardiff University for some mock interviews.  This is where some local employers would give up some of their time to put students through their paces.  I had two interviews!

 

 

In the first interview, I was criticised for wearing smart trousers with a t-shirt and jumper.  I didn’t realise I had to wear a shirt and tie!  When I walked in the waiting room, everyone was wearing a shirt and tie, and I felt like I was the odd one out.  He said “You are smartly dressed, but I would not employ you because you are not dressed appropriately.” 

 

 

He also said to put EVERYTHING I have done or experienced on an application form because it may not be interesting to me, but it may interest the employer!  I have learnt something for other interviews now!

 

 

My second interview was with a woman I’ve met before, so that helped.  She looked at my qualifications and CV which I had prepared beforehand, then asked me what my plans were for the future.  

 

 

She was so taken with my personality and attitude to life she offered me a job as a Learning Support Assistant at the school she works at.  She described me as a ‘genuine, likeable guy with great enthusiasm to work’.  She said I would be a great role model to disabled students at the school because I did not see my disability as a hindrance!

 

 

I was a bit taken aback.  I’m so happy!  If I don’t go to university I am going to use this as a back-up plan.  In the meantime, she has asked me to go to the Special school to help out because they are in great need of male support staff.  I’ve agreed to help out because any experience I get shall be valuable to me.

 

 

One of the questions I was asked today was: “If I were to hold a dinner and could invite anyone from past or present, who would it be?”

 

 

I chose the new Prime Minister, Gordon Brown.  The reason I chose him was because I’d like to discuss some issues with him and try to improve Britain!  Maybe I should go into politics instead?  Can you imagine that, Prime Minister Leigh Edwards!  It would be mad!

 

 

If YOU were to hold a dinner and could invite anyone from past or present, who would YOU invite, and why?

 

Have a good evening all!

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on getting that position. It will be great experience even if you go on to college.  If I had to invite someone it would be Queen Elizabeth 1st.  I would want to ask her why she never married, I am nosy like that!

Anonymous said...

Wow Leigh...good for you man! Sounds like such a great day. Ignore the comments about how you were dressed. Just take in on board for the future. Apart from that, seems everything went great! Well done!

Ummm..if I could invite any one person to dinner, it would be Shania Twain obviously, because I'd like to discuss with her how Nashville turned it's back on her when she first started as many country artists saw her as nothing but a 'Highly paid lap dancer' because she showed her belly button in some of her videos! It's crazy! lol!

Great entry,

Lv Ste
x

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Well done Leigh on the interviews ~ any work you take on will be good experience and we can't get too much of that ~ good Luck on your future plans maybe Prime Minister Leigh Edwards isn't so far fetched as you might think :o) ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Well done on your interview and being offered the position. You asked who I would like to have dinner with, you of course it would be nice to meet you and I do love a Welsh accent. Love Joan

Anonymous said...

Well done Leigh; you've obviously marketed yourself well.  The dress code was a useful lesson for when you enter the political arena.
I remember having a tussle with the dinner party list on Kafka last year.  Consigned to the archives by now !
Bunny x

Anonymous said...

Hey, well done Leigh! Who cares about you looking a bit out of place, they clearly saw what a kind, decent guy you are, and thats what counts... hugs all round!! xxx