Monday 10 September 2007

Back To School!

I started back to school today.  It felt really weird to be back after nine weeks away from the place.

 

 

I’m in Year 13 now, the last year of school and I am studying ‘A’ Levels in English Literature and Health & Social Care.  I will also be undertaking the Welsh Baccalaureate.  This is a compulsory unit of work worth 120 UCAS points for university, which is equivalent to an A grade at ‘A’ Level.

 

 

I woke up earlier than usual this morning excited by the prospect of returning to school and seeing my friends again.  I was surprised to learn that our Sixth Form Common Room is being renovated to get rid of asbestos in the roof.  Now we have no Common Room!

 

 

I didn’t do much in school today.  I had to attend a “Welcome Back” assembly this morning, where we were given new timetables and the Year 12’s were given ties to wear.  I remember the moment last year when I received my tie, I felt so proud to be accepted into Sixth Form.

 

 

Altogether in our Sixth Form, there are about three hundred pupils.  I was quite surprised to hear that statistic.  That’s a lot more students than last year!

 

 

I only had one lesson today and that was English.  My class were introduced to the work of Geoffrey Chaucer, known as “the father of English Literature”.  One of the novels we are studying is from “The Canterbury Tales” called “The Nun’s Priest’s Tale.

 

 

It is a poem written in Middle English about a cockerel and a hen, which follows an iambic (de dum de dum de dum) pattern.  As soon as Mrs. Francis said that I could not stop laughing!  All I could think was Mr. Mealing saying the line “I must go down to the sea again to see the sea and sky” and moving his hand up and down to the rhythm. LOL!

 

 

Then after lunch I came home.  I didn’t see the point in waiting around school with nothing to do.  The same will happen tomorrow as I only have one lesson again.  I shouldn’t really moan about all the free time because in a few weeks I will need it!

 

Hope all is well in J~Land.

 

 

Until next time…

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must be a very big school you are at does it have a web site so we can have a look as I have done with a friend in the states. Glad you are happy to be back. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will have a great school year!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Nine weeks off?  We only used to get six lol.  I am sure you will soon settle back.  Never had to do Chaucer, we mainly did Shakespeare.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Leigh I am glad you are excited to be back at School ~ Sorry about you losing your "Common Room" but a good thing they are getting rid of that asbestos ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))Glad to hear your excited of getting back to school,once I was out,I was out.LOL>

Anonymous said...

I love that Iambic Pentameter: "Once more unto the breech, dear friends, -- Or close the wall with our English Dead." That Shakespeare put wonderful inspiring words into Henry V's mouth.
Or Pope: "Be not the first by which the new is tried -- nor yet the last to lay the old aside"
Dum de dum de dum de dum indeed.
Chuck