Friday 8 February 2008

A Bird-Brained Story

 

I noticed in the comments of the previous entry, a few of you spoke of another Alfred Hitchcock movie “The Birds”.  I have not seen it before.  However, it is being broadcast on T.V tonight.  So I think I shall watch, based on your recommendations.

 

I don’t think I’ve told anyone this, but I have a big phobia of birds.  I don’t know why or where it stems from, but I hate the creatures!

 

         

 

When I was 15, I went on a trip with the Viva Project to a Bird Sanctuary.  Why, you ask?  I wanted to try to cure my phobia by facing my fear.  Plus, I had just had a brand new digital camera for Christmas, and I thought it was be a good photo opportunity.

 

         

 

I was okay seeing them attached to their perches, or in their cages.  I thought that maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea after all.  How wrong I was!

 

Lunchtime arrived.  While the group were eating their food, I noticed four geese swaddle over nearby.  Then, they began to circle me squawking quietly.  They must’ve taking a fancy to my ham sandwiches!

 

         

 

I really didn’t know what to do.  Geese can be vicious animals when they want to be.  I stood there rooted to the spot.  Then, I couldn’t stop myself… I screamed, and then cried.  I was petrified!

 

 

Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to go there after all.  I thought it would help cure it, but all it’s done is make it worse.  If I see a pigeon in the street, I shiver…

 

         

 

Do any readers have any phobias?  If so, please share in the comments below.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops sorry Leigh bad film choice, but Rope is very and good and Rear Window both with Jame Stewart.

My phobia is the usual Spiders reduce me to a quivering wreck, when I was asked to go to a class to get over it, my reply was I would rather live with my phobia than ever touch a spider...lol

Have a good weekend

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))I would have been scared to.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you have a phobia about birds this being so there is no way you will enjoy the movie tonight but never mind there are plenty of good Hitchcock movies for you to watch. I have a sake phobia and find them difficult to watch even on the telly. Stuart has a spider one so we are a pair. Have a great weekend. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll like the movie.  Just remember, it is a movie and birds really are not like that.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh, of course everyone has phobias of some sort, many ppl having several.  Yours is "ornithophobia" and very common actually.  Fear of being attacked by life forms that can fly anywhere, everywhere, it's frightening.  DuMarier's story made into "The Birds" actually helped alot of ppl reveal their fear of birds, bats, geesse - which are naturally very aggressive, territorial.  That's why they bite so easily.  But "fear not" lol we all have something.  In an earlier post I revealed my fear of cotton sheets - feel a little better now? lol  CATHY

Anonymous said...

you know, birds make me a little uneasy too; sorry that happened when you went to try to overcome your phobia. We all do have little phobias; I absolutely hate to fly; thats my phobia.

the movie is an interesting one, like another commenter said, remember it is just a movie

enjoy your day

betty

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh The Bird's. The first horror movie I ever watched!! It was also one of the scariest.  And I LOVE SCARY!!  

I also love birds... the movie didn't cure me of that.

Phobia's believe it or not are the easiest psychological disorder to cure.

Do I have any?  Only 1.  And I am not sure if it is a phobia or survival instinct.

I'm afraid of mobs.  Like when they get crazy at a concert or something.  I'm very tiny and was almost trampled once.  People can get killed that way. So, there are certain things I steer clear of, and mob mentality is one of them.

Hugs Rosemary