Monday 11 September 2006

In Memory of 9/11

 

I remember it so well as if it only happened yesterday, instead of five years ago.  The day the world changed forever.

 

When the news broke I was in school halfway through a maths lesson.  It was as if the world had stopped.  We sat there and gazed at each other in amazement.  We couldn’t believe what we were hearing on the radio.  It was unbelievable, I didn’t think, I don’t think anyone did, that such a callous act like that could be committed.

 

When I arrived home, I saw the images played back on CNN and the reality of the situation hit me.  Someone had driven a plane into the World Trade Center and killed thousands of innocent people, IT WAS REAL!

 

I was so frightened, because my cousin David, who is a preacher, lived in New York City at the time.  I don’t know him, but I hear a lot about him from my family.  He made it thank goodness, but it was the anxiety of not knowing if he was alive.

 

My heart went out to your country, to the police, firemen, paramedics, who rushed to the scene to help, the victims and their families who have lost a loved one. I’m saddened and I’m sorry that such atrocities have happened.  The 9/11 terror attacks were such a tragedy which we will never forget.

 

United We'll Stand

 

We arose from the ashes of the towers in the sky,
We're a proud, mighty nation and we hold our heads high!

 

Back from Ground Zero where we all shed a tear,
We'll show to the world that we won't live in fear.

 

They tried to destroy us on that fateful day,
September eleventh in our memory will stay.

 

With flags full unfurled, we'll fight night and day,
To protect and defend our American way!

 

So united we'll stand for the whole world to see
We're the home of the brave and we all will agree,
United we'll stand in the land of the free!

 

They burned down a landmark but our hearts did not sway,
And we're makin' our come-back the American way!

 

We're children of freedom, and that's how we'll stay,
No terrorist cowards can take that away!

 

So united we'll stand for the whole world to see
We're the home of the brave and we all will agree,
United we'll stand in the land of the free!

 

A new brand of hero emerged from the crowd,
Brave Firemen, Policemen, you sure made us proud!

 

No terror can daunt us, we'll fight to the end,
Unwavering, unfaltering that's the message we send.

 

We're children of freedom, and that's how we'll stay,
No terrorist cowards can take that away!

 

America, you're beautiful, honest and true,
America we love you, Our Red, White and Blue!

 

So united we'll stand for the whole world to see
We're the home of the brave and we all will agree,
United we'll stand in the land of the free!

 

© A. P. DuBarry, Jr. 2001

Thanks to Missie for providing free graphics to use.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely posting Leigh. I certainly remember where I was, watching it happen live on tv, one of those rare occasions when we put the tv on during the day.  I have been reading many tributes today and it has been very emotional but so heartwarming that so many journallers have come together to remember.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry, Leigh.

I know this commemoration was hard for you, as it was for all of us. But I think I speak for all of us here in the States when I say that we truly appreciate your dedication and your memories on such a horrible tragedy. Just to know that those who lost their lives, the families affected, and all of your American friends are in your thoughts and in your heart means so much. Thank you for such a lovely contribution, and may we never forget...

Morgan
xxxx

Anonymous said...

lovely tribute...God Bless them all.

Astra!

Anonymous said...

We must never forget that day ,the day they broke our hearts but not our spirits ,I too posted an entry ,did you get an alert ?,.,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Leigh such a lovely tribute ~ I think we can all remember exactly where we were and the turn of events that happened that day ~ all so sad ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry bud!!

Lv Stevie
xxx