Wednesday 13 September 2006

A New Beginning

 

I’m halfway through the first week of Year 12 and it is chaos!  It usually is at the start of the new school year though, as everyone settles back into routine.  It felt very surreal going back to school after twelve weeks away.  It felt as if I was in a completely new school, but I had familiar people around like Ross and Kailei, which was a good thing.

 

 

On Monday we all went to the main hall where Mr. B, the headmaster gave us a welcome presentation.  Then we were given an organizer to write homework deadlines in and a tie.  I really feel like a Sixth Former now that I have my tie!

 

 

I had one lesson that day, English Literature, where we studied an Irish poet named Seamus Heaney and his works.  I will also be studying “Emma” by Jane Austen, “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” by Ken Kesey and “King Lear” by William Shakespeare. 

 

 

In Health and Social Care, we are learning about Communication.  Mr. G who is the Head of Sixth Form makes his lessons fun, which is a good thing as we remember more.  I’m really excited because in seven weeks the H&S class gets to go on work placements for a week.  Woo! J

 

 

We have four teachers for each subject and at the moment I’m finding both really interesting.  I think if you are interested in something it motivates you to work and achieve your target.  I find it weird having only one or two lessons a day instead of five, which I’m used to.

 

 

Although I only have a few lessons, I will need the extra time to complete my assignments so less lessons and more time to absorb them.  The best thing about it is the teachers will always be on hand if I need help. I am so pleased I am with people who actually WANT to work, instead of mess around.

 

 

But as I haven’t had many assignments to complete I have been relaxing in the Common Room chatting to people.  God knows how many cups of coffee I have drunk to help me stay awake and alert.  I think I may have overtaken Dawn in the coffee worshipping stakes, LOL!  I’m trying to stick with familiar people so I don’t get lost. Also I am enjoying getting to know new people.

 

 

Well that is the start of my new school term.  Right now I am enjoying it.  Let’s hope I can say the same thing next year at this time.  Hope you are all well.

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that things are going well for you, Leigh.

You're definitely right-- if you're interested in something, it does make you more motivated to do well in it. And I totally agree with you about wanting to be with people who actually want to work, not mess around. Seems like the kids at these schools in the States only know how to do one thing... and it's not learn! LOL

Hope you're having a wonderful day!
Morgan
xxxx

Anonymous said...

so pleased your enjoying your first week back to school...good luck!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

heya leigh ((hugs)).....

SEE??? i told u sixth form would be different from school.... u should lkisten to mr shauny more ya know.... i am old and wise!!! lolol glad ur enjoying it tho.... stick with it..... it will get even better .... my college days were just the best lol.... only two lessons a day tho.... sheesh ur SUCH a skiver !! <<< runs like buggery lolol..... not too sure about ur book reading material tho.... gimme stephen king ANY DAY LOL
                          Take care
                                        Chat soon
                                                Shaun xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

sounds very busy..................
Enjoy Emma!

Anonymous said...

Here's to a good year.                   Dawn
A Couple of Nomads

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having such a great start to your year.Love Joan

Anonymous said...

Glad everything seems to be going well for you Leigh ~ must seem strange having so few Lessons but it will give you more time to concentrate on the one's you have choosen ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going well for you bud!!

'one flew over the cockoos nest' is brilliance in a jar! lol! I LOVE the film..wonder if it's different to the book?

Lv and hugs,

Stevie
xx

Anonymous said...

Pleased you are enjoying it all so far ,.,.,.Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hi !

I was reading Morgan's journal and I wanted to come by and say hello. I am a new visitor to your journal. I really liked reading your entries. You are a very interesting person I must say. It will be nice getting to know you. I hope that you will continue your journal in the future. I also signed your guestbook you will find my link to my journal Dear Diary in your guestbook. Feel free to come by and say hello. Once again its nice meeting you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Your entry prompted one of my own Leigh - have a look here: http://journals.aol.co.uk/rcfairy/Rattlebox/entries/2006/10/04/things-really-aint-wot-they-used-to-be./291