Monday 12 February 2007

Work Experience - Day 1

 

As many of you know, I started at my work experience placement this morning.  I was allocated to work with a class of 7-8 year old pupils at a local primary school.  This morning, I was a little apprehensive as my grandmother drove me to the school gates.  I wondered how so many classrooms could fit into such a small space.

 

 

I walked in through the entrance and was greeted by the Deputy Head teacher and the secretary.  I was introduced to the teacher I would be working with and some of the students.

 

 

The bell rang.  In walked thirty more students and they sat on the carpet.  It was so daunting to have thirty pairs of gaze at me and whisper “Who’s that?”

 

 

I helped a group learn their multiplication tables and solve some division problems in a maths lessons.  Maths isn’t one of my best subjects, but I could DO their sums!

 

 

After break, the children had R.E.  They were working on a project about Judaism.  I have been taught so little about Judaism, I learnt something new.  I thought to myself “Why do they have to learn about that particular faith?”  I came to the conclusion they were learning about different faiths in a multi-cultural society.

 

 

They were also learning the importance of 'skimming' and 'scanning' by using programs like Google and Encarta to search for information and write the important details in their own words.  This is an important skill they need to learn for their later education.  I am in comprehensive, and even now I find it difficult to do this while writing essays.  

 

 

One boy, who I shall call Daniel, said I was his ‘favourite teacher’ and at break time, he offered me a custard cream biscuit… my favourite!

 

 

I can’t wait what adventures tomorrow will bring.  Will keep you all updated daily on how I am getting on.  Until tomorrow, good night xx

 

 

Thanks to my ADC Group for providing today's graphics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleased you had such a good day ,hope its as good tomorrow ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

It sounds like things are going really well for you! I'm sure you and the kids will continue to get along wonderfully, and this is as good a learning experience for you as it is for them. Keep up the good work!

Ohh, and sorry for not being around lately. But you know, you know.

Morgan
xxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts

Anonymous said...

Look forward to reading daily reports on your progress ~ sounds like you enjoyed day 1 ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Now Leigh it wasn't as daunting as you thought was it now? I am happy to read your first day went well."A New Broom Sweeps Clean" so the saying goes.So lets hope the children keep it up and continue to be responsive to your help.How kind of the child to say what he did and offer you the cream biscuit.Kids they are so funny LOL!!!Take Care Have a Good Tuesday.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astorisand/MYSIMPLERHYMES