Friday 16 June 2006

Are they trying to brainwash me?

 

Thank you to all the teachers and loyal friends at my school over 5 years.  Many of you have not only taught me but you helped guide and support me into the determined and hard-working person that I am today.  I have nothing but respect for all the teachers who know me and I admire anyone who chooses to go into the teaching profession for dealing with moody, spoilt teenagers like me! But this week I will make an exception ~ some of them have done my head in!

 

 

My final full week at school started well.  But then teachers started asking me for the reason why I wasn’t staying on in Sixth Form.  I want to go to college to study Childcare because I have spent five years at comprehensive school and need a new challenge!  In my opinion it’s time for me to move on the pastures new.  I think if you are excited by something you are motivated to succeed. 

 

 

But G said if I become excited about college, the reality of it could be different to what I had imagined.  Most of us look forward to our summer holidays.  We look in the brochure and see idyllic photos of hotels and tourists basking in the sunshine.  When we get to our destination, the hotel could be nothing like the one in holiday brochure and we could be stuck in the middle of a building site.  That would be my worst nightmare!

 

 

 

I am slow writer.  Usually in school one of the teachers would write for me if I fall behind with work but I try to write as much as I can.  G has spoken to the college and they said I would have less help there than what I am used to.  G wants me to be an independent individual but is concerned that if I fall behind with work I won’t be able to keep on top of it. 

 

 

 

I have a lot of friends who are staying on at school studying A-Levels.  Also I will know the teachers, who know my needs.  They promise to give me all the help I need.  G has probably done this to a lot of students but I refuse to be, in my opinion, brainwashed!  I am trying to keep an open mind while I sit my exams.  At the moment I have a choice where I want to go, but unless I achieve good grades I won’t be able to go anywhere.  The teachers probably think they are putting me at ease giving the options but they do not realise what a distraction it is ~ worrying and revision should not mix!

 

 

 

My mum thinks I would be better off going to college as there are more opportunities at the campus.  Also she doesn’t understand why G is giving her opinions now in the final few days.  I have been offered a place at school if I don't like it at college, so maybe I'll try college first. If I don't, there will only be regrets later.  A meeting has been arranged for sometime next week to see the Head of Sixth Form to discuss my options.  I don’t want to make the wrong decision ~ but which is the right one?

 

 

Are the teachers trying to brainwash me? Have any readers been through a similar situation?  Please leave comments and advice, they will be greatly appreciated. Have a good weekend everyone!

 

Leigh xxx

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep an open mind Leigh ,see what the teachers have to say ,just give it lots of thought, its an important step ..........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... I'm always one to hedge my bets; what are your options if you try college and it isnt for you?  Would you be able to got back to school?  Maybe not the best plan in the world, but worth asking the question.  You can't have enough Plan B's!  Take care, Gem xx

Anonymous said...

i think you give college a go and see how you get on. You don't want to regreat not going

Anonymous said...

Leigh it is a big decision you have to make ~ but I know you did so want college ~ if you have been given an option of trying College first then I would take it ~ and if you find it is not for you then you could return to school for A levels ~ if you don't try college you may regret it later ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

You do what feels right for you Leigh

Anonymous said...

Leigh, see what they have to say at the meeting next week, put your side to them and listen carefully to theirs.  Then think it over long and hard, discuss it with your parents, do not make any hasty decisions.  Whatever decision you make will affect the whole of the rest of your life.  So keep your options open until you have had that meeting.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/