Friday 30 November 2007

Fantastic France [Part Three]

Wednesday

 

This morning we were put into groups of five.  Then we travelled to a local French market.  Each group was given a budget of 5 Euros each, and then the task was to buy food and prepare lunch.  We decided to make a ham and cheese baguette with some side salad.  For dessert, we had strawberries with some fresh cream.  The judges described our meal as “bland”.  However it had good nutritional value, and was good value for money.  We were pleased with the results… and our lunch!

 

The afternoon activities began with team games.  I enjoyed this, as I felt it brought us closer together as a group – plus we had the chance to use our initiative skills.  Next on the agenda was trapeze.  My heart was in my mouth watching the other brave people. I was adamant before we arrived I would not have a go of the trapeze.  It was very high up… and really would’ve been impossible for me to do.

 

I was excused from the assault course as I had injured my knee during abseiling the day before.  So, I used this time wisely to pack my suitcase all ready for when we leave, because we shall be busy over the next few days.

 

Thursday

 

This morning we visited a place called Le Mont Saint Michel.  It looked like a castle from a Walt Disney fairytale.  It is known to be a place a pilgrimage where magical miracles happen.  We arrived there after a two hour journey, and we were told we had to turn back as there was a bomb scare nearby.  However, we got a few pictures of the place before we left.

 

We continued our journey to St. Malo.  We visited the only remaining medieval castle in Europe, and got some wonderful photographs of the nearby landscapes. 

 

The staff found a really unique café called Guigol’s.  Everywhere I looked in there, I could see dolls!  It was really creepy because it felt like the dolls were watching my every moment.  They had swings hanging from the ceiling instead of bar stools… and a loo inside a Confession Box.  It was so different to normality.  I doubt you would find anywhere like that place in Cardiff!

 

After tea, the group tried some typical French cuisine… SNAILS!  Hmmm… how do I describe the taste of taste of snails?  In my opinion, they tasted of minced meat marinated in garlic sauce (and LOTS of it!)  “Little balls of garlic infusion”, I call them!  They were so nice, I had two.  Surprisingly, they were quite nice.  I didn’t like the idea of them in my hand, so I just threw it in my mouth and thought of Wales, LOL!

 

We attended adisco later that night.  I don’t think I’d danced so much in all my life!  I really let my hair down.  At the end of the night, I had quite a few blisters on my feet, but I didn’t care because I had so much fun!  I think I may’ve surprised many people with my dancing abilities… J

 

Friday

 

I’m on the bus now, on the way home.  We have just seen a war ship parade.  How on Earth did the soldiers manage in those things?  The tanks look really ugly, LOL!  Today, we were supposed to visit the Normandy beaches, but unforeseen circumstances have arisen.  We are visiting a museum called “Memorial Pegasus”, dedicated to the D-Day Landings.  Then we’re on our way home!

 

I have had a brilliant week.  I’m so proud of myself and others for achieving so much.  I did stuff I wouldn’t normally have an opportunity to do, so I am really thankful for that.  I must also say a big thank you to all my family, teachers and peers for the support and encouragement over this last week.  I hope that I have done my ‘job’ in opening the gateway for other disabled students to go in the future. 

 

Hope you have all enjoyed reading about my trip to France.  I, for one will never forget it.

 

Fantastic France [Part One]

Fantastic France [Part Two]


Tags: , , ,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a action packed week you had, and like you said what a fantastic opportunity for disabled persons. I hadsnails many years ago I thought they were chewy but nice.

Have a good weekend

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Great photos Leigh.  Sounds like you had a fantastic time.  I couldn't have eaten those snails though, not even for a million pounds!!!
Have a great weekend.
Carol
http://journals.aol.co.uk/carolelainedodd/a-quiet-life......i-wish/

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))I am so glad your having a grat time.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for visiting me.
Carol

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky!  Enjoy your weekend.
Missie          

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Leigh and such great pictures, it sure looked as if you had the time of your life. So glad you made the effort to go, surprising what you can do when you get the opportunity. Well done you are a remarkable young man. Best wishes Kathie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh when I say the picture of Mont san Michel it took me back over 50 years oh that does see to be al long long time ago but that was when I visited the Mont. I was on holiday with my Mum and Dad on a motor bike and sidecar and was on 14 years old. I thought it was a lovely place just like you said. glad you had such a great holiday and wish you many more . Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Leigh the pictures are lovely everyone looked like they were having a great time ~ have really enjoyed your visit to France ~ and happy to see you did lots of activities ~ hope that knee is better by now ~ Ally