Thursday 19 October 2006

I'm So Excited!

I am so excited because next week I have a work placement.  It is not really a placement as such, it’s part of my Health and Social Care course.  I will be spending four hours spread out over the next week in the C.D. Unit in my school.  The Communication Disorder Unit was set up to cater for children with communication disorders, such as Autism.  At the end o the week, I will have to produce a report about how good and how effective my communication skills were.

It will be something different to do during the week.  Also it will be interesting to learn more about the condition.

 

What is Autism?

 

v     Autism is a lifelong developmental disorder that affects the way a person communicates and relates to people around them.

 

v     It is no longer a rare condition; autism is thought to affect 535,000 people in the U.K today.

 

v     Autism is a lifelong developmental disability with no cure.  Children with autism grow to be adults with autism.

 

v     Children with autism are unable to relate to others in a meaningful way.

 

v     Their ability to develop friendships is impaired.

 

v     Their ability to understand other people’s feelings is also impaired.

 

For more information visit:

 

~The National Autistic Society~

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information on autism, Leigh. And I'm sure you'll do great working!

Morgan
xxxx

Anonymous said...

good for you! so cool!  :)
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi Liegh,
Just popped over after my return back online from moving home.Aol were kind and only made me wait two weeks Grrrrrrrrrrrr.Good to be back though, now catching up on all e. mails and entries proves much hard work.May I say congratulations to you on being nominated for the Viva's well done!! you deserve it.I too was shocked to learn I was nominated on my return online.Good Luck Take Care.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astorisand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your VIVI nomination teen journal.  Good luck.      Dawn

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Leigh ~ congratulations and good luck in the Vivi's ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Well done, Leigh and good luck

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your work placement.  It sounds like a very interesting one.  And congrats on your VIVI nomination also.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your VIVI award nomination. Good luck on November 2nd!

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your nomination Leigh and good luck

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to congratulate you on your Vivi nomination. Good luck to you from a fellow nominee!

Hugs, Mandy ~ http://journals.aol.com/mmartinez07/UnhappilyEverAfter/

Anonymous said...

Leigh, I just discovered your journal through the vivi nomination. Congratulations... you were born on the same date as my twins. I will forward your blog add. to them; hope they get interested with your placement (they are almost 14). I have been myself very interested in autism as a psychiatric disorder but also as a metaphore for all of us who sometimes fail to be empathic or a good mind reader. it is believed that their problem is related to their mirror neurons which do not function properly so they cannot slip in another person's inner world emotionally. Difficult for them to make friends or keep them, a very isolated life indeed, and you have different types of autism, the spectrum is as varied and large as the many affected by this disorder; the high autistic people have less problems than those who also show signs as being retarded.

Good luck on your learning path.

valerie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/iiimagicxx/surreality/