Friday 6 October 2006

A Visit from Pop Royalty

Tonight I am going to see Welsh folk singer Cerys Matthews live in concert with my parents.  She used to be the lead singer of a rock band called Catatonia, who had a big impact on the pop charts in the 1990’s.  Unfortunately the band has disbanded.  But they had a few top five hits, and this was one of them:

 

 

“Road Rage” is taken from Catatonia’s breakthrough album “International Velvet”, and it was one of the first CD’s I ever bought. 

 

I think Cerys has a unique voice which has a sweet, child-like quality which makes you want to listen.  What do you think?

 

She is currently living in Tennessee, U.S.A with her family, and is promoting a solo career. 

 

If you like the above clip, I recommend you listen to both solo albums: “Cockahoop” (has a strong country influence) and “Never Said Goodbye” (a rockier sound which reminds me of Catatonia).  Both are a perfect soundtrack to chill out and relax to.

 

I remember one day, Mum and I were shopping in Cardiff.  Feeling a bit peckish we decided to call into a restaurant for a bite to eat.  We walked in.  Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at us open-mouthed. 

 

A waitress came to us from behind the counter and said “Hi Cerys, would you like your usual table?”  People crowded round mum asking her to sign autographs.  Then mum explained kindly that she was not Cerys Matthews, but we liked her music.  

 

Turns out the waitress had served Ms. Matthews the week before, and she said mum and Cerys had a strikingly similar hairstyle.  Then she apologized for the mistake, but mum said “No, thank you for the compliment!”  What an honour it was to be recognized by mistake, as “Welsh Pop Royalty”.

 

I can’t wait to see her live tonight.  It’s gonna be AMAZING!  The tickets were only £12.50.  Here in the U.K you’d expect tickets to be a more expensive price, approximately £35.  What a bargain!

 

 

Have a great weekend.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh I hope you enjoy Cerys Matthews  concert ~ glad your Mum took it as a compliment being mistaken for her ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I hope they gave you your 'usual' table all the same, lol. Enjoy the gig. B.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time tonight.     Dawn

Anonymous said...

Have fun! And a lovely weekend. :)
Smooches, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful time tonight.  I saw Cerys Matthews on S4C, at the Sesiwn Fawr in Dolgellau, a few years ago, I had no idea who she was then.  Quite a revelation.  Bunny

Anonymous said...

have agreat weekend

Astra!

Anonymous said...

Hello......I didn't like the song and I didn't like her voice. I am not into that kind of music. Her voice was too child-like for me sorry. Thanks for sharing it though. Take care.