Wednesday 25 October 2006

Work Placement - Session 3

This morning we joined the pupils for a maths lesson.  They were learning all about money!!

 

The pupils were asked to write down all the different methods of making £1, 50p, 20p, etc.  The pupil I was working with couldn’t really understand the task set.  So then I explained in simpler terms.  Then he understood it. 

 

It was so rewarding to know that I helped him understand the concept of money.  As we began the task, he seems unhappy.  He explained he had just moved to our school and that was missing his friends from his old primary school.  After lots of praise and encouragement, he seemed happier.  I felt happier too!

 

Lunch duty followed.  Sam, Kirsty and I had to go and queue with the pupils, help them order their food and help them carry it to a table.  Then sit with them to eat ours.  It was really nice.

 

Then afterwards, their teacher broke the news that tomorrow would be our last visit.  One of them said “I’ve got a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, does that mean I’m not going to see you three again?”  The others looked stunned and the news finally sunk in.  We promised after tomorrow, we’d visit them again in our free periods.  They haven’t quite got rid of us yet, so roll on tomorrow...

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, useful lesson to learn ,money ! ,.,.,Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Seems they have realy got to like you being there Leigh.Good you helped them with there Maths,not much good without that are we.I am happy you have enjoyed your role so far.Take care.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand.MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are still going well! Good for you for helping the student understand the concept of money, I'm sure he really appreciates you!

Take care,

Morgan
xxxx
http://journals.aol.com/Sneezy7125/RandomThoughts

Anonymous said...

As I said before Leigh I think you have found you vocation ~ Glad you are enjoying it so much ~ Ally
http://journals.aol.co.uk/ally123130585918/Lifewithally