Monday 6 August 2007

It's Time to Conquer My Fears

 

Isn’t it nice to see some sunshine at last?  I hope the weather stays like this because in a few weeks I’m off to Devon for a week.  *fingers crossed*

 

 

I was thinking of taking up another hobby: swimming!  I have not swum properly for about four years.  I think it’s about time I conquered my fear and started swimming again while I have more time and the weather is nice.

 

 

My teachers at junior school used to say I was such a confident swimmer.  They described me like a fish in the water.  Every Friday morning, my class would go to the local swimming baths for two hours, then return to school for dinner.  I used to really look forward to it!  It was the highlight of my week!

 

 

When I started at the comprehensive school, I love for the water decreased quickly.  I used to change into my swimming costume, and then go into our pool for what seemed like fifteen minutes.  Then get out again.  I began to loathe swimming.  I thought P.E lessons were a complete waste of time!

 

 

Then after my operation (which was four years ago now) my physiotherapist wanted me to spend a couple of hours in the swimming pool every day to strengthen my legs.  I loved this idea at first.

 

 

But as I was lowered by hoist into the pool, my legs felt as if they had gone numb.  As I tried to swim, it felt as if I was being pulled underneath the water by a strong, magnetic force.  I was petrified!  It felt like I was drowning.

 

 

I have rarely been in the water since I was discharged from the hospital.  If I do go in the water, I can’t go in there on my own.

 

  

I really should start again because it’s good exercise.  The longer I postpone it, the harder it’s going to become.  If I don’t attempt to conquer it now, when will I?  Never – so I have GOT to do it!  I need to face my fear and overcome it to become a stronger person.

 

Have a good evening!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh.  I think swimming a a great idea.  It is the only excercise I can do with my bad back and I aways feel refreashed after, and feel as if I have made an effort to do something. so go ahead and give it a try I am sure you will soon get back in the swing of it and enjoy it. best of luck Kathie.

Anonymous said...

Yes go for it Leigh ~ conquer your fears ~ and enjoy the water and it is such good exercise for you ~ you can always start at the shallow end and work your way into the deeper water as your confidence grows ~ Good Luck with it ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you enjoy swimming again if you just take it easy for a bit.. LOve the graphic. Love Joan.