Saturday 4 August 2007

Standing At the Crossroads

"Which path should I follow?"

 

I always thought I had my life mapped out in front of me.  I did well in my GCSE examinations last year, gaining 8 A-C grades.  I’ve gone on to study A-Levels in Health & Social Care and English Literature.  Where do I go from here?

 

My ambition has always been to become a teacher.  I’ve always wanted to do that ever since I was small.  I wanted to follow the footsteps of my father’s family, who are all teachers.  The reason I wanted to go into this profession was to make a difference to young people’s lives, and I liked the idea of having a position of authority.

 

While I was on work experience last October, one of the teachers said “Leigh, I’m going to be frank with you here, I don’t think you would make a good teacher”.

 

When asked why she replied, “It is very physically demanding.  It wouldn’t be a practical job for you because of your disability”.  I could see her point of view.  How could I run after a group of energetic 7-8 year old pupils?  How would I manage standing for long periods of time?

 

However, she did suggest I become a Learning Support Assistant.  Then, I would be working with pupils on a 1-1 basis or in small groups.  She said it would be less challenging for me, but still rewarding.  Bingo, nine months later, I get offered a job as one!

 

I would like to accept the job, but I don’t know what to do.  The job would be a great experience for me.  Plus, I’d have my own wage!  It may not be much money, but at least it’s a wage.  Also, I would like to go to university to get a Degree, but in what subject?

 

I haven’t really thought about going to university.  I thought I’d accept the job offer and go to university later on in life.  My parents and friends say I should go to university in a year with familiar faces, and get it out of the way, LOL!

 

I don’t know what career I’d like in the future.  You need to have one in mind when choosing a university course.  I need to apply for six universities (if I’m going) by September.  

 

My careers advisor has always stressed about back-up plans, I don’t have one.  I always thought I’d like teaching.  I feel lost and insecure because I don’t know where I’m headed.

 

 

I’ve still got one more year to decide, and a lot can happen in one year!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))I wish you all the best of luck to you.I am sure you know what to do.Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh, there must be hundreds of thousands in your situation just now.  Good to have a year to decide, I'm sure you'll find something; you have so much to give.  Lot to be said for getting university* out of the way , with your contemporaries.
Bunny x
* `Uni' makes me creep !

Anonymous said...

Leigh you have a hard decision to make ~ wouldn't it be awful to give up on your lifetime dream of becoming a teacher ~ perhaps there is a school out there that teach disabled pupils ~ I couldn't think of a better teacher than you ~ you would understand their needs more than anyone ~ I agree about getting University out of the way with people you know ~ wish you luck in whatever you decide to do ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I'm not your parents so I hesitate to give advice here, but If you really have no idea, then I would wait a year before going to a university.
Missie

Anonymous said...

If I were you I would take the job as teachers assistant and while you are doing that, takie time to think about what you want to do......don't rush into Uni cos I know loads that did and ended up quitting.........decide while earning for a while then you will know eventually - a gap year with pay is good!