Tuesday 14 August 2007

The Problem Is Finally Solved!

 

For a few months now, I have been having trouble connecting to AOL.  My router has been very temperamental!  Some days the i light on my router would blink orange instead of a permanent green.  This meant I could not connect to the internet.  As you can imagine, this used to really frustrate me!

 

 

 

After a while, I did find a solution.  I right-clicked the AOL icon on the taskbar, then clicked on “One-Click Fixes”, then “Redetect Connection Devices”.  Then the wizard ran and picked up the connection.  Sometimes, I have to repeat the above method a few times before the green light would appear.  Although this method works, it became very annoying because after a few days, I would have to repeat the same steps to achieve a successful connection.  Oh!  Isn’t technology a wonderful thing?

 

 

My friend, Ross came to visit on Friday afternoon and I told him about the trouble I had.  You see, I didn’t have any trouble with my Internet connection before the router was installed.  It bugged him why the router came blinking an orange light and was determined to fix it.

 

 

First of all I spoke to a representative on “AOL Live Help”.  I explained the problem, and then was sent an e-mail of instructions to follow.  The method suggested was already being done to connect to the service.  While I was half-way through typing this, the representative left the conversation.  Charming!!

 

 

Then on my behalf, Ross rang the “AOL Customer Services Helpline”.  The representative suggested plugging the router into the Master phone socket.  So we did and waited for i  light to turn green.  It did, meaning there was nothing wrong with my router.  It was the connection that was the problem!

 

 

It looked like I was going to have to pay £200 for a new phone line to be put in my room.  My mum did not seem very happy about paying out the money plus expenses, but she felt if we wanted the Internet, that was a sacrifice we’d have to make.

 

 

Then Ross wondered whether a DSL Filter had been put on my Sky connection.  It had, but the person who had installed Sky for me had put it in wrongly (like Dad, last summer hehe!).  Ross put it in the right way, and I have had no problems connecting since.

 

 

I would like to say a big thank you to Ross.  You really are clever when it comes to computers and the Internet.  Where would Jen and I be without you? hehe!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done ross and to be honest hun i had exactly the same probs as you,bloomin sky men grrr welcome back mwahh zoe xxx (domestic chaos),sorry forgot to copy my link,derr lol

Anonymous said...

Glad you got it all fixed Lee.  Ross sounds like a good friend to have around.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the problem was fixed finally!  Can Ross come over to my house to figure out my Internet problems? LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

Leigh glad Ross sorted that out for you ~ it is nice to have friends who understand technology ~ it is frustrating when you can't get on line ~ Love you graphics :o) ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOu)))))))))))))))I am glad you got it all fixed.HAve a nice Sat.