Tuesday 28 August 2007

A Different Kind of Holiday

My parents & I had a great time in North Devon.  We stayed in a little village called Dalton in a cottage named “Warren Cottage”.

 

The village was very popular with hikers and it seemed everyone owned a dog.  Local people in the village were very friendly and accepted us as one of their own.  By the end of the week, I think we were on first name terms with everyone in the village. 

 

Every shop or pub in the village was within walking distance from the cottage.  This was great for me because I didn’t need to use my wheelchair and I got plenty of exercise.

 

The cottage was very idyllic.  I’ve only ever seen cottages on T.V programmes like “Escape to the Country” and they seemed very small.  I assumed this one would be, but first impressions can change.  I was amazed when I walked in at how spacious the cottage was.

 

It rained for the first two days, but then for the remainder of the week, the weather was glorious!  I even caught a bit of a tan on the back of my neck and arms while I sat outside in the beer garden of “the Royal Oak”.

 

We also visited the nearly villages of Taunton, Barnstaple, Okehampton and Exeter.

 

I had never been away in this country before for a summer holiday.  We usually go away to a European country.  But with the scorching heat of last summer, we decided we would not need to look far for sun.

 

I had a great time!  I would recommend his type of holiday to anyone who wants something a bit different.  It was really quiet and peaceful.  It was nice to be away from home, but then it’s always nice to com back.

 

The only bad thing was I could not get a signal for my mobile phone anywhere.  I used Dad’s, who luckily had free texts to use up.  Then, I rang Vodaphone and spoke to a representative, who said my phone was faulty.  Trust that to happen!  I only have a month left before my contract expires. 

 

I felt lost without my phone, I didn’t realise how much I had taken it for granted until it broke!  I can’t remember the years before I owned a mobile phone, and wonder how did I manage?

 

I’ve included some pictures from Saturday’s barbeque.  It was only a small gathering, but we had such a good time!  I think I needed to let my hair down after all the worry of exams!  Hope you enjoy the photos.

 

Have a good evening!

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh lovely pics of your holidays the cottage looks great.  It does make a change to go to our own country for a change, if only we had the weather we wouldn't want to go anywhere else we have such a beautiful country.  Glad you enjoyied your celabration party, you had the right to get a little drunk after all your hard work. Bye for now Kathie.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures of your holiday thank you for sharing. I don't know if its you new hair do or your glasses but I think you look American. very with it. Love Joan.






Anonymous said...

Im glad you had such a great time and love the pics hun,welcome back zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/domestic-chaos/