Wednesday 6 December 2006

Brilliant Brussels [Part Two]

We arrived at our accommodation at 19:15p.m later on Tuesday night.  It surprised me (and a few others) when I found out we weren’t actually staying in Brussels.  We stayed at a three-star hotel in Lille, which was an hour and half drive away from the Capital of Belguim.

 

Then we unpacked.  The hotel room was lovely.  It had a double bed, a sofa which could be converted into a bed.  Also there was a T.V and cupboards for storage.  There was also a room with a bath and sink in, and a separate room for the toilet.  It felt really odd, because in Britain and many other places, the toilet, sink, bath and shower in one room.

 

Unfortunately, the hotel did not have any access for disabled people.  I found this a bit shocking, particularly as it was a new hotel.  You would have thought the owners would have spared some Euros to make the hotel disabled friendly.  It was okay for me, as I can walk, but other people with a more severe disability than mine may want to stay there, and they couldn’t.

 

We left the hotel the next morning, and made the 2 hour journey to the European Parliament Building.  Inside the building, we had very strict rules to obey.  All of us were searched, put through a metal detector too.  Our phones had to be switched off, as it could affect the technical equipment.  We were only allowed to take photographs, but only when the Members of European Parliament weren’t in the Chamber.  I did take some in the Chamber, but they didn’t come out very clearly.

 

~ A Guide to the European Parliament ~

 

 In my opinion, the visit to the European Parliament Building was not orginised properly and very rushed.  I thought we would be spending a lot more time there than 2 hours!

 

Fran, Helen, Kelly and I spent the rest of the shopping and looking at the architecture of Brussels.  When I stepped in a Belgian chocolate shop, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven LOL! Fran said “Leigh, you were in your element in the chocolate shop!”  The assistants were offering free samples of everything.  In the end, I decided to treat myself to a bar of milk and white chocolate, and bought an assorted box for mum.  They say that Belgian chocolate is the best in the world.  Is it?  I love ALL chocolate!

 

   

 

With love,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good trip.  I agree about the hotel, more especially because it is a new one, there should be facilities for disabled.  My family home had a sink and bath in one room and a toilet in another.  Belgian chocolate?  O.K. but you cannot beat Cadbury in my opinion not that I can eat it anymore

Anonymous said...

Great pictures what a memorable trip ,I have seen the manikin pis fountain  too ,its smaller than I imagined ,and yes Belgium chocolate is delicious ,,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a trip to remember ~ loved the photographs ~ shame about the hotel not having facilities for disabled ~ especially as it is a new hotel ~ Like you Leigh I love any sort of chocolate ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I had difficulty looking at the pictures Leigh but managed to look at them small but got trouble with slide show.They look a happy bunch you went with.In my semi detached I just left I had seperate toilet.I prefer it thet way.Though where I am now it is combined bathroom and Loo!! Ah well you have experianced Brussels now.More travelling to come I hope in the future.Belgian Chocolates I send to someone every year at Christmastime they love them .Take care.
Astoriasand http:..journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand.MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Nice to SEE you Leigh !  I hope you left some pithy comments in the visitors' book. Bunny