Sunday 17 December 2006

My 60 Minutes of Fame - A Wonderful Experience!

I’m on cloud nine this weekend, guys!  The pantomime went really well on Friday.  There were two performances.  Twenty five attended the afternoon performance and one hundred and five people came to watch us in the evening.  The pantomime was organized to raise money for the Viva Project.

 

 

Viva is a registered charity working with disabled young people aged between 11 and 25, who live in the Rhondda Valleys in South Wales. The charity was established in 1992 to create and facilitate leisure and training opportunities for young people with disabilities. 

 

I played the character of Buttons, Cinderella’s best friend.  I wore a red suit, which made me look “slight”, according to my Nan.  I also had to wear a little make-up to “emphasize my facial features”.  It felt absolutely disgusting, as if my face had been covered in Plaster of Paris.  “All in the name of show business” I told myself.

 

               

 

When it was my turn to go on the stage, I walked onto it, stood still, everyone applauded, so I bowed.  I stood still to say the first few lines.  Then I sat down to talk to Cinderella, to symbolize a close friendship.  Then I decided to sit to sing “(Is This the Way To) Amarillo”, because there were five dancers on stage with me, so I thought I’d better not ‘cover them up’.

 

 

I remembered my dialogue, the song lyrics, but best of all, I can’t believe I STOOD on the stage, with no support!!

 

 

The only criticism people had was I spoke too quickly when I delivered my lines.  My Nan and friends, Jennie and Kailei came to watch the evening performance.  They were quite surprised at what an amazing voice I had.  Nan had to ask the girls if it was actually me singing!

                 

I was asked by the director to sing “Merry Xmas Everybody” at the end of the show, because I was the only one who knew all the verses.  We only had three days to put the show together, it isn’t a long time but it was a success!!  Parents said to me after the show “Leigh, what a lovely voice you have!”  I was amazed, because I don’t think I have a good voice, but now I know it must be good.  All I needed was confidence and faith in my own abilities.

 

                   

 

I would to thank the director Zoë for casting me as Buttons, and all the others who took part.  It was such an enjoyable experience, thank you all for making it so much fun!  When is the next one going to be?

 

 

Thank you to all my subject teachers for being so understanding, and allowing me to take time out of my studies to rehearse with the group.  I am so grateful, because this charity means so much to me.

 

 

 

My friends in J-land, thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement.  I promise that if there is a video made, I will upload it (if I figure out how to) onto this journal for you all to see.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great graphics to illustrate this entry telling of a success story well done Leigh so pleased it all went well ,and good on ya standing on stage and singing too ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

so pleased for you, lovely entry! and great graphics...

Astra!

Anonymous said...

Well Done Leigh (clap clap clap) WOW singing the final song what an honour to be chosen to perform that..
Eat your heart out Simon Cowal here comes the next years winner of X factor LOL!!  I knew you could do it Leigh.Keep up that confidance.Take Care have a good week.Busy Busy Busy pre Christmas things!!
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Well done Leigh for standing on stage and singing ~ and doing a lovely entry ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

No business like show business Leigh !  No stopping you now; Great............Bunny

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I just KNEW you’d be great in the pantomime, what’d I tell ya? You’re obviously very talented to have been cast that part and then asked to sing again at the end! We all have sooo much confidence in you, you just have to have some more in yourself! And if you need any help uploading vids, let me know. Stevie and I have become expert YouTube users lol!

Morgan
xxxxx